Live and Direct

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Post-Christmas


Snowing in Copenhagen
Originally uploaded by Trevor_.
I really meant for this post to be about life after the holiday, which by the way was fine. We went to Jylland and spent a traditional Danish holiday with Jonna and Steen and their family, ate goose, read a lot. It snowed, and is still snowing, as proven by this picture taken out my kitchen window five minutes ago.

But "post-Christmas" has me thinking: we've dealt with poststructuralism, postmodernism, posthumanism, why not post-Christmas? I know there's a semi-serious cultural battle being waged right now by the likes of Bill O'Reilly, etc., who argue that liberals are trying to eliminate Christmas. While I normally don't give two shits about what he thinks, on this occasion, I actually have to say that I am interested in eliminating Christmas. Nevermind how it's become a mockery of the very Christian spirit it claims to celebrate, blah, blah, blah. I don't like the holiday because it means you often have to spend time doing things you don't like to do (like sing Christmas carols) with people you don't know very well (like your extended family). This is the kind of situation I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid.

So Sara and I took a moment last night to redesign an imaginary Christmas according to _my_ tastes. Between the free bar, open buffet of really good food, the hot tub, scads of attractive people half-dressed, and really loud music, my dream Christmas ended up somewhere between Vegas with snow and an orgy plus a tree and gifts. It seems likely that I won't be asked to plan the next company Christmas party.

But come on, doesn't an orgy plus a tree and gifts sound like a whole lot more fun?!

2 Comments:

  • What, that wasn't your traditional Christmas already? Wow, those Mormons really did do a number on you!

    By Blogger cij, at 2:24 AM  

  • Sounds like you're angling for a winter Burning Man. Let's do it!

    By Blogger Tin Foil Hat, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home