Live and Direct

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

It's the little differences

I'm trying to renew my car registration via the mail. In the process of trying to get a check to the California DMV, I ran into something that still has me scratching my head:

The federal mail service does not offer express mail to the United States.

You can send express mail to the UK and the other EU countries, but I guess they figure nobody has business with the States that's urgent enough to require a special service. It ended up meaning that I had to pay a UPS courier to come and pick up three pieces of paper and a check, costing me about eight times what it would cost in the States.

It's in moments like these that I'm reminded of Vincent Vega's line from Pulp Fiction: "You know what the funniest thing about Europe is? It's the little differences. A lotta the same shit we got here, they got there, but there they're a little different." Like not being able to send express mail to the United States. I mean, Denmark is willing to ally with us for a war based on lies, but we can just forget about getting our mail in an express manner. That would be too much to ask. On the other hand, you can buy beer in a movie theatre. And I don't mean in a paper cup either. They give you a glass of beer. (Thanks again, Vince).

1 Comments:

  • Oh, that movie. Now I want a Royale with Cheese.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home