Live and Direct

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Back in the Big DK

So I'm back from my brief visit to the States. I've had my first decent night of sleep in a few days, since jetlag was a lot harder to deal with than usual while there. On the whole, I was pleased with the conference and I'm happy to be back. I got a chance to meet a number of people I had been looking forward to meeting, the paper wasn't laughed out of the building and I learned a few tricks for the next time I present at a game dev conference, and I learned a lot about the state of game development and game research. On the whole, a worthy use of my department's money.

Whenever I've been in Denmark for a while and then return to the States, I'm always struck by a few things. In no particular order, this is what struck me this time:

1) How cheap everything is. I got a decent haircut for $11 from a nice, motherly woman who gave me advice about whether to move to Lansing, MI, or not. Not, I think. I also stocked up on Taco Bell brand refried beans and Progresso clam chowder, Manhattan and New England, measuring cups, and a potato masher for under $30. Speaking of clam chowder, can I get an informal poll of what kind people prefer? I'm thinking there might be a demonstrable personality metric in there.

2) How spread out everything is. Lansing and East Lansing have a combined population of about 400,000. But in terms of sheer size, it seemed about the size of greater Copenhagen, which is over three times as populous. Accordingly, there are no pedestrians on the streets, as you can't really walk anywhere worth getting to.

3) College towns are funny. I forgot to bring my passport out one night, and got carded and denied by kids that seemed half my age. Standing between me and my drink is a dangerous thing to do, but it's a particularly dangerous thing to do when I have bunions older than you.

Upon returning to Denmark, the first thing I noticed, almost immediately, is that everywhere and everything smells like cigarette smoke. Even the non-smoking airport. We really need to do something about that.

8 Comments:

  • New England, no contest. Manhattan clam chowder is gross.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 AM  

  • Has to be New England. Leave Manhattan style for the pizza.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 AM  

  • One more vote for New England

    By Blogger Tin Foil Hat, at 11:14 AM  

  • Yep, I notice the same thing when I come back to DK from the states...last time, it hit me as I waited for the train home from the airport. Just overwhelming cigarette smoke.

    And, I like both, but Manhattan is the clear winner, or at least that is what I remember - it's hard to find these days.

    By Blogger kimananda, at 11:58 AM  

  • I'm surprised how badly Manhattan style is polling. Granted, I like a good New England style, but if it isn't good, it basically tastes like paste. Manhattan is more reliably good and has more complex flavors.

    By Blogger L&D, at 1:15 PM  

  • Well, you didn't tell us that the choice was between crappy, pasty New England style, and well made, complex Manhattan style :) Acutally, I'll still take New England.

    By Blogger Tin Foil Hat, at 5:13 PM  

  • No bunions, really. But I couldn't come up with anything else to fit the punchline space. Maybe I'll change it to read "bad habit."

    By Blogger L&D, at 1:07 AM  

  • New England for sure, what can I say, i am partial to creamy foodstuffs. Same for bisque, there a couple of ways this soup is made, and I prefer the creamier version.

    It's not just DK that smells like smoke. Most public spaces in greater Europe seem to share that readily identifiable tobacco musk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home