Live and Direct

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Not exactly the reassurance I was looking for

The Gentleman Marks both sent me additional links on the peak oil issue. However, what I was really hoping for was a reassuring note from a credible source pointing out how I and my likewise concerned peers have overlooked "Obvious Counterargument X." Instead, both links suggest that I'm not entirely off my rocker about this.

I also recently read that there has been a slight, anecdotal rise of violent crime and theft around gas stations in apparent correlation with rising gas prices, up to over $3.00 in some place in California, I'm told. To paraphrase Tin Foil Hat, Americans seem to think we have a constitutional right to cheap gas. It's in there somewhere, isn't it? Maybe it's in the Bill of Rights, somewhere around the part about guns.

Of course, most of the rest of the world has been paying these gas prices for decades. According to CNN/Money, gas prices in Denmark are around $5.93 per gallon. Yikes! I would imagine those kinds of prices might make even Arnie rethink his Hummer. Of course, the point is not the price of gas, but how expensive gas is likely to effect an economy that has come to rely upon getting it cheaply, like the US has since the 70s.

In all of this, George Miller is suddenly starting to look a lot more prophetic than kooky. Of course, as a kid, I longed for a Road Warrior future, since I figured I'd be pretty good with a crossbow. However, age and a career that involves sitting on my ass all day has convinced me that I'm a lot more likely to end up like the nerdy guy and his girlfriend who get assaulted by bikers than I am to be Lord Humongous.

2 Comments:

  • This made me giggle uncontrollably when I thought of it, and I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. . .

    How will "Gas Money" (aka l&d), deal with the problem of having to prostitue himself--in a fur coat and butt-shorts--twice as often (or at higher prices)? What's your strategy for dealing with higher prices? What happens when the oil runs out? "Hydrogen Money" doesn't have the same ring. :)

    By Blogger Tin Foil Hat, at 3:57 PM  

  • Good question. My plan is simple: I am going to pretend that oil is a limitless resource that springs from the ground by itself like little golden brown fairy farts, and drive, drive, drive while voting Republican. By the time the crisis really comes to ahead I hope to be too old or too dead for anybody to be willing to pay gas for my fur coats and buttshorts anyway. Either that, or I become the Hellion's boyfriend, the one with the long blond hair.

    By Blogger L&D, at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home