Live and Direct

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Burning Man

Usually at this time of the year, Sara and I would be preparing for Burning Man. Between settling into to a new job, a new country, and a new financial situation, it just isn't possible for us to go this year. I expected to miss my annual ritual more than I actually am; I've gone every year since 1999, and it's played a major role in my life. At Burning Man in past years, I've celebrated the end of a nasty divorce, the beginning of new relationships and friendships, and the uncertainties of being single. I've seen my best friends get engaged, met the friends and significant others of people I've known for years, and best of all, last year Sara and I got engaged ourselves as the Man burned in the background. I've done and seen things I don't expect to do or see anywhere else in my life, and had a few adventures that just don't make sense anywhere else but the playa, so much so that until now, I've never tried to write about Burning Man or why it's important to me. All in all, Burning Man has been good to me. I truly think it has made me a better person.

So I'm surprised that I'm not more upset to be missing it this year. Part of my feelings might be tempered by the knowledge that most of my playa posse won't be returning this year either. Last year was a good one, hard to beat, and generally, my friends and I are reaching the age where other kinds of adventures, like houses and investments, foreign travel, or financial security seem equally attractive.

But I think Mark put it best when he suggests that the event is really about people, the ones you don't get to see otherwise during the year and the ones you see regularly but don't always get the time to say the things you really want to say. And this much I know: come Burn night, we'll all be thinking of each other, whereever we are.

1 Comments:

  • Burning Man really does sound special. I've another few friends from the West Coast of the US who feel the same as your crew. I hope that you're starting to get some of those sort of friends here in Europe as you settle into life in Copenhagen. And all the best to you mates back at Burning Man right now.

    By Blogger cij, at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home