Live and Direct

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Huh-boy

President Bush is coming to Denmark next week. One of the reasons we came over here in the first place is so that we wouldn't have to see this retarded monkey-fuck on a regular basis, and yet here he is, messing things up for us. I'm sure that his visit here will start a whole new round of "Why is the US so screwed up and aren't you somehow responsible for it?" among our Danish friends.

In case you haven't been following the scorecard, Denmark is one of the "Coalition of the Willing." As a catchphrase, it really doesn't have the same zing as "Legion of Doom" or even "Justice League of America." As far as I can tell, Denmark has less than a thousand troops in Iraq right now, and provided some hospital and anti-mining ships. I believe Denmark's role to date has been primarily removing landmines and building infrastructure, but even still, most Danes I know, even the conservative ones, look at their involvement in Iraq as regrettable. The reasons they give are as multifaceted as people's response in the US, but as of yet, I've not met any Danes who are fans of Bush himself. The current Prime Minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, is to my sense of things a Tony Blair wannabe who's been handed the unpleasant task of mollifying the rising ultra-right here in Denmark; his way of doing so was to get onboard with Bush. So far, he's been able to stick with his commitment without being too greatly tainted by his connection to Bush personally, but it will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

Meanwhile, on a personal note, I'm in a quandary as to how best weather his presence here. Part of me wants to pretend it's not happening, part of me wants to show up with an American flag and a protest sign. I suspect resignation will win out in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home