Live and Direct

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Rain on Danes Stays Mainly as a Pain

It's Autumn over here, which weather-wise means beautiful, brisk clear days with smoke on the air increasingly giving way to gloomy, wet dark days that make you understand why the Vikings were willing to risk their lives trying to conquer and settle somewhere, anywhere, for gods' sakes just not here. With daylight savings having reverted, the sun goes down at about 5pm. It feels like late afternoon by 1pm. It can be a bit much to deal with, and I take back any comparisons I ever made between Seattle and Copenhagen as far as rain and general murkiness goes. Seattle? Rain? Bah, I say, bah! The ever-ready claim that "it only drizzles, you can still go out in it" that I repeated like a mantra while in Seattle can hardly be said with a straight face over here.

But it's great weather to go to the movies in, or drink Irish coffees, or snuggle with my sweetie, so I'm going to focus on the positive. Also, I have only six more weeks left in the semester and then I don't teach again for one whole year. ONE. WHOLE. YEAR! Can I get an amen? Can I get an amen!

On other positive fronts, all you videogame heads (Mark F., I'm looking at you) should immediately go check out The Game Guy Show. It's a podcast co-hosted by my good friend Mars, who knows a thing or two about videogames. The production value is very high, the format very accessible. Evening listening to it as an MP3, I kept thinking I was listening to a live broadcast on KEXP. Way to go, Mars!

3 Comments:

  • You're not going to be teaching for a year? How did you manage that? I want to learn that trick! =) -Tatiana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 AM  

  • No trick, really. The dept gives its tenure track faculty a year off in their first three in order to write a book and prepare for the permanent hiring (i.e., tenure) process. So I don't teach, but I do have to work my ass off.

    By Blogger L&D, at 10:40 AM  

  • Sorry about the lack of amen for the no teaching: I still can't believe it! But I'm sure that trying to get things together to write a book will make up for the lack of teaching stress.

    And as for the Vikings, they were idiots: the came and invaded England! Then, the English repelled them with a furious battering of politeness. GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. London set the rules for time zones. But...they were so polite that they put themselves into the wrong time zone. We're further South than Copenhagen, but the sun already sets at around 16h30 now in early November.

    I've sorted this by relying on my French education: go on strike. I've been ignoring the fact that they changed the clocks last week. This way I'm awake when there is the little daylight we have; who would have ever thought that pubs closing at 23h00 (their GMT) would seem so late!

    So for your visit here in December I highly recommend that you don't bother resetting your watches. Just take care with the train and flight times...

    By Blogger cij, at 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home