Live and Direct

Monday, November 07, 2005

One of those moments...

...when I really do hate to say I told you so. I still think that Grokster was engaging in a form of sophisticated double-speak by arguing, after intentionally engineering a Napster-shaped blindspot in their service, that they couldn't anticipate what people were going to do in that blindspot. Apparently, the Supreme Court was of the same opinion, which I hardly find comforting given its current ideological make-up.

However, I generally hate to see the mainstream media industry win anything, since I think "they," meaning the ten multinational conglomerates that own and run everything from your local radio station and newspapers to the largest movie studios and cable networks, generally stifle creativity and innovation by eliminating alternate market venues. It's worth noting that the decision won't actually effect anybody already using the Grokster software to share files, so that's something, I suppose.

1 Comments:

  • We'll have to wait another few months to see what the next generation of file-swapping becomes. It's awfully hard to shove that digital genie back in the bottle.

    That said, I actually think that the iTunes TV download model with ABC is interesting. I think I'd pay $2.99 to watch "Lost" the next day if I missed it. It's also intersting based on the current TV revenue stream. Here's what Mark Cuban has to say on his blog.

    By Blogger Tin Foil Hat, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home