Live and Direct

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Mormon dinosaurs are out to get me

So I'm on a bit of a roll as far as dreams go lately. I can go months without remembering a single dream, so the fact that I've remembered so many lately is worth documenting in itself. But last night I had a classic one, so goofy that it almost seems made up as a way to demonstrate how kooky my dream logic is. But this is strictly as I remember it.

I was being given a tour of a Mormon temple by a friend of a friend, sort of a "secret behind the scenes" look. Those of you who know the Mormon religion know that not just anybody can go into a Mormon temple beyond the reception area. You have to be a member in good standing and get a special recommend from your bishop. Anyway, I guess I pulled some strings, because they were showing us around the basement. But it wasn't what you'd expect. It was more like the basement of somebody's house, with concrete walls and those high half-windows you see in basements, plus it was full of dust and cobwebs and old shelving. Tucked away on one of the shelves was a pile of clothing, and when I looked closer, the labels said "Celebrity Garments." Garments, for those of you not familiar with Mormon faith, are the special underclothes that active members wear as a sign of their devotion as well as a form of spiritual protection. Imagine basically a loose t-shirt and very long boxer shorts made of a light, gauzy material. Anyway, garments are only received by devout members at certain specific temple ceremonies (at the time a person prepares for a mission, or if not then, usually in connection with the wedding ceremony).

In my dream, I got very upset, as I figured this was an indication that the religion was making exceptions for non-member celebrities, offering them garments and the ability to enter the temple simply because they were famous. My guide and I got into an argument, and I accused her and the church of engaging in some sort of "Scientology-bullshit" hypocrisy. I was belligerent and self-righteous (this much of the dream was true to life, I suspect). The upshot was that I got thrown out of the building.

As I was walking away, I realized that I was walking along the sidewalk in front of the house where I grew up in Grantsville, Utah. As I looked back at the house, I saw that the temple administrators had unleashed three small T-Rex style dinosaurs to hunt me down and kill me. I was looking for a place to hide when I woke up.

Up until the dinosaur part, the dream was very life-like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home