Live and Direct

Saturday, March 11, 2006

All's well

So I've sort of dropped off the blogging front for a while, mainly because there's not much to tell. I've been holed up reading and preparing notes for my first book chapter, which will likely be the easiest one. From there on out, there's a ton of research to do on areas I'm not that familiar with, which will be fun but also very challenging. I also hope to attend GDC in a few weeks, provided I can put all the pieces together.

I've been thinking alot about friends lately. I generally think of myself as a pretty independent person, so much so that I often overlook the immense importance of friends and family. Over the last two years, Sara and I have pretty much been our entire social sphere. We met some great people in San Diego and Denmark, but in SD I was often to busy to really get to know people, and in Denmark, well... let's just say the Danes can generally be stand-offish. Pleasant, polite, but distant. I appreciate the irony in this, as the very same adjectives have been used to describe me on more than one occasion by people I don't know well.

But I was reading Joygantic's post about surrounding himself with positive and interesting people, and I was again struck by how much more pleasant life is when you have a broad circle of people to share it with. We've had more social contact in the last month than we had in an entire year in Denmark, and it's been great to see the variety of ways in which this has made our lives infinitely more enjoyable. So I guess this is a late Valentine to the people who've made us feel so welcome to be in Seattle again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home