Live and Direct

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Spun out on tofu

To paraphrase Vincent Vega, the funny thing about living in Europe is the little things. Like the fact that you can buy flour tortillas, corn tortillas, salsa, pre-mixed fajita and taco spice packets, but not refried beans. Or the fact that the Danes eat candies based on menthol, eucalyptus, hot pepper, cactus (no kidding), even ammonia, but they think cinnamon candies are disgusting. Or the fact that tofu is incredibly hard to come by. To my knowledge, you can purchase it in three places in Copenhagen, all of which are a good 30 minute bike ride from our apartment.

So Sara and I made a special trip to buy tofu for a dinner party we're having this weekend. The store actually makes it fresh, so it's awesome, but also very soft. I was very much looking forward to my tofu. Until it met the realities of a bike ride home from the store, during which time it gave up its tofu-ey goodness. We now have a plastic tub of white goo.

2 Comments:

  • I'm sorry honey, I kept riding over all the potholes and bumps. I did not know it would destroy the tofu-y-goodness.
    Yours Truly,
    Sara

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 PM  

  • Probably not going to see this one but....
    Here's some places to get tofu:
    Den Kinesiske Købmand on Nørre Voldgade (where you probably got that one)
    Spidsroden (In Nørrebro)
    Pure Foods (On Blågårds Plads)
    the Super Brugsen on Nørrebrogade across from Elmegade (it comes in a jar here!)
    Both Thai markets on Istedgade
    There's probably more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head
    I think the best is from Den Kinesiske Købmand, followed by the stuff at both Spidsroden and Pure Food

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home